Friday, April 22, 2005

CUSTOMER SERVICE IDIOCY

I am so pissed. I rarely have something happen to me that I just have to vent, but I just did. And Beloved Husband is not home for me to rant and rave at, so you get my full wrath.

I just got home from our local grocery store, which has a liquor store attached to it. It is the cheapest and closest grocery store to our house so we use it - a lot. This store does NOT take credit cards, and only recently started taking debit cards. It does take checks.

I, being short of cash, grabbed $5.00 in quarters from our change jar before I left. Beloved Husband always has the checkbook so that's not an option for me.

I was going to the liquor store to pick up a bottle of champagne. As I mentioned in the last blog, we are going to IN to visit Blake of Laughing Wolf, and we have a hotel room with a jacuzzi! (Thus, the champagne.)

First, I walked into the liquor store. It was semi-crowded and they had two check outs going, which is very unusual for them. (Normally, no matter how many people are waiting in line, there is only one check-out person.) It was 4:00pm so not afterwork hours yet, so I was a little surprised to see that many people.

Almost immediately, a nice older gentleman who worked there caught my eye and asked me what I was looking for. He showed me to my product, and also mentioned some other similar wines/champagnes that I might want to try sometime. I was very impressed, as usually there are just young punks working there, not someone who actually seemed to be a semi-connoisseur.

Everything going great so far...

Now, I get to the check out. As I mentioned, they previously had two lines going, but now were down to one lane again. I was approximately the third person down the line so I got my money ready. I had $5.00 in bills and my $5.00 in cash. When I got ready to pay the "young punk", I told him, "Okay, I'm going to be giving you a lot of change." Without blinking an eye, he informed me that they usually only accepted change if it was rolled!

I was so flabbergasted, all I could do was look at him and mumble "Oh." As he was counting the quarters (mind you, simple quarters, not dimes or nickels, and I had the exact change), I asked him, "How much change? Like $2.00?" He replied, "Probably anything over a couple dollars. It just slows down the line." "Remember that for the future."

I was going to slow them down??!! ME??!!

How about the little old ladies with their plum wines and checkbooks??

How about you put in a credit card machine for my convenience that I can just slide my card through and you don't have to do the simple math?

Oh, don't worry buddy, there won't be a "future" at your liquor store! I will spend the extra dollars and just buy any liquor I want at the local gas station.

| | Pre Haloscan 0

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?